and that's why I HAD to go to Acapulco for the weekend...
I have something to confess...now, please, hear me out. Last weekend, I was forced, against my will, to spend the weekend in Acapulco. Ok, not really against my will, but I had no choice. Well...I guess I had a choice, but there really was a valid reason. Every week, we are getting closer and closer to moving in to our new house, a task that has taken four times as long as I originally expected. Unfortunately, here in Ometepec, it is not possible to buy certain items and one must travel to Acapulco in order to get to the Costco or Walmart-type store. One of the final steps in the moving process was going to the big city to do just that. I had been in Ometepec for a solid two months, and I will admit, I did forget that there are towns with big buildings, streets without huge car-swallowing potholes, and tourists. I'm not so sure I liked it either. You may be imagining me, toting sunglasses, in a cute little sundress, sauntering through the city, returning to my plush hotel room to order room service. Well...not so much. It is a pretty brutal 3 hour bumpy, windy cab ride to Acapulco in a small 80's era Corolla, five adults, no a/c, and a speed bump, cow, goat, or pig every 50 feet. We rented a hotel room, $10 a night per person, without a/c, window screens, towels, hot water or a toilet seat. Apparently, one must pay extra in this country to have a toilet seat! We had fans, but the temperature in the room was at least 95. Actually, we needed the cold water just to cool off. We all wore the some clothes the whole weekend, we needed to conserve space for the car ride back. My friend Mary came with us, she lived there for 5 years so she showed us all the good cheap places to eat and hang out. We hit the Costco, bought the things we needed to buy, and ate pizza and a pop for cheap! (and luckily, the Costco here doesn't follow the age old Mexican tradition of putting cut-up hot dogs on their pizza!) We did manage to have some fun, spent a little time at the beach, took a low budget boat ride around the bay, and made fun of the tourists in Spanish. Sunday afternoon we packed up our cab, strapped some things onto the roof, and ventured back to Ometepec. Enjoy the new photos and if you get the urge to come and visit, I'll do my best to find you a hotel WITH toilet seats!

1 Comments:
Well, dear Anne and sis! At least you had an idea what a 'free seat toilet' would look like as you've been to Romania several time. I was wondering if the Turkish went there or please ask there who had this bad idea? I see you have such a wonderful time there. We're still waiting for you to come to Romania again! Have fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home