I found a way to post more pictures...web albums. Check out http://picasaweb.google.com/anne.schempp for all of the latest pictures!
It's Saturday here, and I finally have a chance to update my blog! Over the past few weeks, I have gotten into a regular schedule, which really helps me organize my time (and most of you know I need a little help in that department sometimes). I have also decided to stay here in Ometepec for longer, probably until May when I return home. I felt like there was a lot work that I can do here. Now that I have been here, I am becoming part of the community this is one of the things that is exciting about living in a place for a longer period of time. It's nice to develop relationships with people and be able to use these relationships during the next several months.
I will be moving into a house with two other women, one American and one Mexican. This house is owned by a Mexican family and in addition to painting and fixing up the place, we will help keep up the house and the yard while they are gone. We've done a lot of work, but it's coming together, and the goal is to move in sometime this week. We'll see how that goes!
I have had a few weeks to get into my schedule which consists of working in Xochis three days a week (M, W, F), working at the Hospital de la Amistad here in Ometepec on Tuesdays, and then using Thursday to study Spanish and run all of the errands for the rest of the week. Mary, an awesome woman from Ometepec, is coming with me to Xochis and is a blessing. She is a great worker and together we have come up with a plan to revitalize Dr. Carmelo's clinic. This project with take several months, but we are getting there poco a poco (little by little).
Saturdays are usually days for doing laundry, studying, painting and doing things around town. On Sunday, there is Sunday School in the mornings, painting and working on the house in the afternoons, and the main service at the church in the evening. As you can imagine, it all goes pretty quickly!
This is a little run down of my week, I will give more details about my work in Xochis soon. So far, I have already helped the Doctor set up a lab, desperately needed, and we are working on some longer term goals focused on the building itself. (and I am starting to spread the word about a work group coming sometime in March, so let me know if you are interested!)
As Christmas approaches, it's fun to see more and more decorations and hear Christmas music around the town. Although this will be the first Christmas completely away from my family, the feeling of the spirit of Christmas here is still the same.
It's Saturday here, and I finally have a chance to update my blog! Over the past few weeks, I have gotten into a regular schedule, which really helps me organize my time (and most of you know I need a little help in that department sometimes). I have also decided to stay here in Ometepec for longer, probably until May when I return home. I felt like there was a lot work that I can do here. Now that I have been here, I am becoming part of the community this is one of the things that is exciting about living in a place for a longer period of time. It's nice to develop relationships with people and be able to use these relationships during the next several months.
I will be moving into a house with two other women, one American and one Mexican. This house is owned by a Mexican family and in addition to painting and fixing up the place, we will help keep up the house and the yard while they are gone. We've done a lot of work, but it's coming together, and the goal is to move in sometime this week. We'll see how that goes!
I have had a few weeks to get into my schedule which consists of working in Xochis three days a week (M, W, F), working at the Hospital de la Amistad here in Ometepec on Tuesdays, and then using Thursday to study Spanish and run all of the errands for the rest of the week. Mary, an awesome woman from Ometepec, is coming with me to Xochis and is a blessing. She is a great worker and together we have come up with a plan to revitalize Dr. Carmelo's clinic. This project with take several months, but we are getting there poco a poco (little by little).
Saturdays are usually days for doing laundry, studying, painting and doing things around town. On Sunday, there is Sunday School in the mornings, painting and working on the house in the afternoons, and the main service at the church in the evening. As you can imagine, it all goes pretty quickly!
This is a little run down of my week, I will give more details about my work in Xochis soon. So far, I have already helped the Doctor set up a lab, desperately needed, and we are working on some longer term goals focused on the building itself. (and I am starting to spread the word about a work group coming sometime in March, so let me know if you are interested!)
As Christmas approaches, it's fun to see more and more decorations and hear Christmas music around the town. Although this will be the first Christmas completely away from my family, the feeling of the spirit of Christmas here is still the same.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home