Tuesday, January 02, 2007

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!...and watch out for flying bullets!

Happy New Year to all!

Well, I survived 5 days at the beach with 80 teenagers, got a killer farmer tan, perfected my 'bucket flush' technique and learned some important lessons about sharing a tent with 5 other Mexican women...our ideas what is hot and what is cold are completely different. As I suspected, I was ready for a hot shower and a good nights sleep when I got home!
We celebrated New Years Eve in the traditional Mexican way....by shooting off ridiculous amounts of homemade fireworks in the street(slightly dangerous). Then, at midnight, we had to run and take cover in our house, because the other tradition is to shoot your semi-automatic weapon into the air (very dangerous). A stray bullet hit our roof, which is apparently pretty common, but luckily, that was all!
Monday, New Years Day, the Wood family and I went and took a hike to the top of a mountain nearby with an incredible view. The doctor that I work with, Dr. Thomas, was on call and called me in to help with a c-section right after we got home. Then, because he had been all alone and on call for 3 days, I spent the night at the hospital to help if there were any emergencies. Then, yesterday, came home, showered, had some coffee, and went back for my full day seeing patients. I had a breakthrough day of seeing patients completely on my own and of course, completely in Spanish! I am finally to the point that I can talk and listen with good results, and I feel like I am able to have a little personality too, finally.
Make sure to check out the latest web albums!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home